Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Days 76 and 77 (Art Show Weekend!)


            We all have been waiting for this day to come: our art exhibition opens today!  It was weird being in Cortona on a Saturday, because we are usually on our field trips the entire day.  It was nice to experience the Saturday activity in Cortona which included a cute little flea market in the main piazza.  It was similar to the one I explored in Camucia a few days ago.  After a little browsing, I went on an extremely long walk, which was perfectly refreshing.  When I got back, all the girls were already getting ready for the art show.  It felt like everyone was getting ready for prom or something because hair and makeup was being done, nails were being painted, and shoes were being borrowed…It was a very big ordeal for everyone.  The exhibition was held in an old building in town.  This whole week, we had posters hanging up throughout Cortona advertising our show to everyone.  My painting was one of the first pieces you saw right as you walked in.  I was so excited to see everyone’s work; it really was an impressive show.  Until then, I had no idea what the other studios were up to.  I was amazed with some of the ceramics, metal work, photography, homemade paper…There was also slide show of incredible art ed teaching photos.  The best part, besides the table of fancy snacks and sparkling wine, was that fact that a large part of the Cortona community came to see our show.  I recognized so many faces from town.  Our friend Bryan Mark Taylor (the American artist) and his wife and ADORABLE kids even came!  (Jeanette and I run into them all the time and have become pretty good friends.  We have even offered to babysit their kids).  It was wonderful seeing my whole program together dressed up and proud of their hard work from the course of the semester.  I was especially impressed with some of the sprucing up of our teachers.  After the show, a group of friends and I went to celebrate at our favorite pizza place, known for its amazing pear and walnut pizza, which most of us ordered.  The only exception is that I ordered mine with a side of spinach. (Typical).  The evening was oh-so-wonderful. 

            Sunday was really gorgeous. I went running and read outside for the majority of the day.  The art show was open all day for people to explore, and then at five p.m., there was a sort of closing ceremony of our art show where there was a reading of the written pieces from the creative writing class.  My friend Chloe was reading the children’s story that I was illustrating for her, “Hello Yellow, My Name is Blue.”  Because the story was essentially a conversation between the two colors, I read for Yellow, while she read for Blue.  It was exciting to be the only non-creative writer to make an appearance.  The rest of the creative writing students and teachers read their own poems and stories, and I was really impressed by everyone.  Afterward, my usual dinner group and I decided to explore another new restaurant in Cortona for dinner (afterall, our dinners in Cortona were dwindling and we needed to make the best of them).  We were recommended to go to a restaurant called Fuflums, where I ended up having a beautiful plate of grilled vegetables and melted cheese.  None of us could believe that there was only one more weekend to go…

No comments:

Post a Comment